Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Urban Marionettes


CTA during the 5 o'clock commute is jam packed. Everyone stuffs into tiny little boxes leaving only enough room to feel your butt fondled by the woman's purse behind you. As we pulled around the corner from the Chicago stop and approached Sedgewick, I noticed something going on on the side of the parking garage ahead. Getting even closer I noticed that it was three guys: at eye level with the tracks, two dressed as traditional man and woman marionettes who were connected by strings to the last guy dressed as a puppeteer one deck above. As we passed they began putting on a freakin' puppet show. I thought this was hilaaaarious and could not believe that I was witnessing something like this. I start whipping my head around the train thinking surely someone else was seeing this.

No. Everyone was so busy not looking at anyone else that they missed it! I am almost certain that not one other person on my car saw it, and in true Chicago fashion I am reminded of that (perhaps abused yet poignant) Ferris Bueller quote:

"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

No comments:

Post a Comment