Saturday, August 21, 2010

Lollapalooza Day 3

Rain. Rain is how we began our third and final day in Grant Park for Lollapalooza 2010, and what a perfect setting it was for the beautifully haunting music of the Antlers. Their music softly builds to perfectly timed crescendos song after song. The Antlers' 2009 album entitled Hospice is perfectly crafted for rainy days. We stood awestruck under our umbrella and left wishing the downpour would never end.



Immediately after on the stage facing opposite, the Dodos were playing for the sun. The clouds cleared and the threesome blasted through crowd favorites "Red and Purple" and "Fools" en route to one of the best set endings I have seen in a long while.

After a very disappointing set by Freelance Whales which lacked energy and spark we wondered about a while until Yeasayer's set on the Budweiser stage. While their most recent and critically acclaimed album Odd Blood has taken a turn down a more digital, dance-driven route, the group's brand of desert bred world music from their debut All Hour Cymbals was by far the most moving for me.

A monstrous crowd collected for MGMT's late afternoon set. Say what you will about their new album (I like it a lot), MGMT's face melting journey through 60's surf-psychedelia was an epiphany of what this generation's definition of rock stardom has come to embody.



After an exquisite experience at my first Lollapalooza I could only imagine what was in store as the Arcade Fire prepped for a mind blowing, once in a lifetime experience. I don't know what more I can say about it that hasn't already been said by every other music media outlet. I think my friend Rich put it best saying before the show, "Are we gonna cry? I don't know if I want to cry, but I will if I have to." The biggest crowd I have ever been a part of chanted, oohed, and ahhed along with old favorites and new songs off of The Suburbs released just days before. However, the song Wake Up, which grew to massive popularity following its feature in the Where the Wild Things Are movie trailer, was one of the most moving musical experiences I have ever witnessed. "Don't ever let New York tell you you don't have the best fucking city," frontman Win Butler said, "because you guys are awesome."



Even after the show was over when the crowd flooded into the streets, the chorus could be heard from blocks and blocks away surely waking up many in their apartments.

No comments:

Post a Comment